The Hayes & Finnigan Wedding - Page 3
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

The Hayes & Finnigan Wedding - Page 3 Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

The Hayes & Finnigan Wedding

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Hayes & Finnigan Wedding - Page 3 Empty Re: The Hayes & Finnigan Wedding

Post by Lucien Holt Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:29 pm

As far as kisses went, Keiran had known his fair amount, including one accidental, drunken one with the blonde hugging his mother after their graduation. Well, actually, he wasn't that drunk. He didn't think Avery had been, either. He had chalked it up to their being glad to be finished with University, and the knowledge that they would both be going different directions the next morning. Either way, it had been a one time thing, and as far as he knew, no one else had been told that story.

Of those girls he had kissed, most had been when he and Robin had gone out with admittedly bad intentions. Frankly, though, Keiran was not the type to ever bring someone home with him. In his humble opinion, Melissa's kiss was quite nice. He wasn't even being sarcastic, like he often was regarding things like that. She leaned in and he smiled against her lips. At least they had crossed that strange boundary of touching – past brushing hands and the like, that is. In the end, he pulled away after hearing a laugh from the direction of his family.

She looked up at him and he half-smirked again. He was sure it would have turned into a full-out smirk. He and his mother were rather famous for their sarcastic comments and curious expressions. His father was more stoic, but definitely had his moments. Things had been getting worse lately, though, as he had become more and more distant, spending all of his time in his basement where he worked on potions.

Her hand brushed his cheek again, drawing his attention back to the present. Keiran blinked a couple times, hoping his amusement by all of this wasn't overly obvious, before turning to head down as she suggested.

Taking his required spot, he watched as Millie filled out what she knew and pondered the bits she didn't. At one point, when the cameras started going off in their faces, he very nearly glared at them but knew that wouldn't go over very well. Instead, he lifted the thumb which rested on the back of her chair and brushed it against her arm, hoping it was something she interpreted as soothing.

Keiran looked about at the wedding party, seeing his parents talking with someone from Millie's party and Avery milling about with Robin. They seemed to get on quite well, Keiran mused. He didn't suspect it was very difficult for Avery to decide she got on with someone and stick with them. When he had met her in his beginning level Ministry Law class at AETAS University, she had clung to him – and he to her – so that studying wasn't so dreadful. After the final exam for that class, their get togethers turned more towards getting rid of the stress from their individual classes. Avery had been able, now and then, to convince Keiran to take classes he had no interest in just so that they had part of their day together and so that studying wasn't so time consuming. They were both quite brilliant students, so it was never too much to ask.

Millie shifted her hand and Keiran's eyes fell back to the document she was signing. His fiance – no, wife – turned to him with a pout and he nearly laughed. She really was quite stunning, wasn't she? Avery had been right. Her suggestiveness made him chuckle lowly, regarding her carefully. “I'll see what I can do, Mrs. Hayes.”

Reaching down and pulling his eyes from hers, he filled in the bits such as his address and bits about his parents and other parts Melissa hadn't been sure of.  He noted down the address of his flat in London, unsure what would happen once Millie graduated. Would they move to somewhere larger? His flat had an extra room, if she preferred sleeping in privacy. Even if she never changed her mind.

Thoughts of their next few days distracted him as he set the pen down, ignoring the cameras flashing around them. His eyes drifted to the back of her head as he straightened behind her chair. What would happen when they were meant to honeymoon? Keiran could only hope that they got on well, even if that meant spending their time doing whatever they each pleased provided they were near each other.

Lifting an arm, he offered it to Melissa, knowing that they would have to greet everyone, deal with the upcoming reception and dancing – oh, Merlin, the dancing. He was not looking forward to it. But it was expected, so it would be done.
Lucien Holt

Number of posts : 612
Special Abilities : Seer l Heightened Sensitivity

Back to top Go down

Post by Robin Ivanov Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:31 pm

It wasn't until the vows began that Robin's attention really shifted from the woman in the audience to the bride and groom themselves. Their words put an unsettled feeling in his stomach and no matter how touching or genuine they might have seemed, it was all fake. A month was not nearly enough time to get to know someone, much less marry them. Because that was the strangest thing - no matter how determined Robin was to stay uncommitted himself, he genuinely respected marriage. It wasn't an event that should happen like this, rushed and forced. Even if they really did try, could Keiran and Melissa ever truly be happy when their lives together began like this?

They kissed and Robin smiled hollowly, matching his face with the happiness of the crowd. Obviously he had no say in their lives to come and he shouldn't be concerned. Keiran was a grown man who could handle his own affairs. Robin jus wasn't sure how well he would be handling it when his turn came.

It was a thought his brain was just beginning to entertain. Just because his old mate was responsible for he laws creation, did not make him exempt. Like the rest of them, his time would come. The couple was just now breaking apart and moving back down the aisle. Millie's white dress.. The rows of chairs.. The vicar standing next to him.. To an outsider it would all look like a normal, happy wedding. Nothing like what it actually was. Robin stepped down from his position by the alter and silently promised himself that when he got his letter of doom and was forced to marry some common, unworthy girl there would be no wedding like this. It would be a simple affair at the courthouse with a couple of friends to witness. Robin would save his true wedding for his true marriage. This was not love, this was law.

Robin made his way towards the crowd, who had all begun standing up and milling around in preparation for the reception. Only half-thinking about his destination, Robin approached Avery who was talking to the older man and woman who must be Keiran's parents. For the second time today Robin marveled at how close friends the groom must be with the blonde. While she had not received a spot at the alter, she had been given a seat designed for immediate family. To Keiran, she must be just that - family. Robin weaseled his way into the small group, so he stood beside Avery.

As soon as Keiran's mum finished what she was saying, Robin offered the older woman a smile and then turned to Avery and asked "Walk in with me, Miss Bishop?" He extended his arm, which she took and the pair started to meander towards the larger room where the food would be served. Once they were out of range from the others he turned to her and grinned. "So how did I do? Am I not the best best man you've ever seen?"
Robin Ivanov

Number of posts : 428

Back to top Go down

Post by Avery Bishop Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:56 pm

Avery watched as the newlyweds made their way down the aisle, standing with the couple that were practically her own parents. Aiden's brow was furrowed, but he said nothing against the arrangement - how could he, now that it had been done? Bridget wrapped her arm around his and Avery walked alongside them. Following the couple out of the main area of the barn wasn't difficult. Knowing how different things were now was, though.

Her time was undoubtedly coming. Avery could only hope she would be paired with someone sensible, someone good-natured, and someone she knew. Little good hope would do her, though, with the law to worry about. She brushed her hands over the skirt of her dress as Mr. and Mrs. Hayes - the older of the two sets of married couples - stopped to create a small circle among the three of them.

"My boy seems so much older than he is." Bridget mused aloud, watching Keiran over Avery's shoulder. Turning to look at her best friend of a good five years, Avery found the Professor sanding over Melissa and looking quite surprised that it all was happening to him.

"He does. But almost in a good way." Avery replied, crossing her arms over her stomach to avoid leaving them at her side uselessly.

"I think she will be good for him. He is often too drawn inside himself." Aiden commented blandly, though Avery felt that he meant something about himself as well as about Keiran. Bridget leaned into her husband and Avery momentarily sent up a prayer to whomever would listen that she would have someone who held her like Aiden held Bridget.

"I think she will be." Bridget said as she looked up at him.

It wasn't too very long before the object of her previous attention had made his way over. Robin stood at her elbow and asked to borrow her. Unsurprisingly, her almost-parents nodded and smiled in their direction as she turned away. They undoubtedly knew who Robin was, and didn't question it.

"Oh, absolutely. You were the best bit of the ceremony, love." She laughed, wrapping both hands around his arm and elbow as they walked through the door. "Much better than me." She added with a side smile at him.

Looking around the room, Avery took in the sight of the tables along the outside edges of the rooms, covered in tablecloths Keiran's mum had picked out because of their color - white - and the pattern - small, inlaid flowers. Each table was covered in fake candles, as Bridget was a Muggle and loved the flickering effect the plastic candles provided. Along the ceiling, lights were hung to illuminate the room evenly, but not too very brightly. Avery's eyes flicked over to the cake, and she wondered briefly who had chosen it. Hopefully, it was chocolate - Keiran would have been disappointed otherwise. It was beautiful, regardless.

"Hungry?" She asked, pointing towards the long table with buffet-style meals set out along both sides.
Avery Bishop
Avery Bishop
Durmstrang Graduate
Durmstrang Graduate

Number of posts : 575

Back to top Go down

Post by Robin Ivanov Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:58 am

"Starving." Robin nodded, turning towards the mountains of food that lay before them. He took two plates from a neatly organized stack, handing one to Avery and keeping one for himself. Robin moved down the line, pulling small portions from a wide variety of dishes. Everything looking great and he really was hungry. This best man job was a lot of strenuous work. At the end of the buffet, Robins plate was comfortably filled and he looked back to make sure he hadn't lost Avery. "How about sitting there?" he asked, gesturing towards a table about halfway between the bride and grooms table and the dance floor. Robin wanted constant access to both the entire night.

They took their seats and Robin watched the room slowly filling with the guests from the ceremony. The pair of them had started a trend and many others were lining up to get food, despite the absence of the newlyweds. Waiting on ceremony couldn't last forever - it was time for lunch! Robin couldn't help but notice the large numbers of Hogwarts students mixed in with twenty-something's who must belong to Keiran's side. Robin recognized Gisele Delacour as she walked past with nothing but a champagne glass in hand. He wondered absentmindedly where his young date was and if she had seen her veela girlfriend yet.

Robin was waiting impatiently for the first toasts to be called so he could raid the open bar freely. It was early enough in the morning that his premature drinking might have been viewed as inappropriate. Clearly Gisele didn't share his concerns.

"So tell me, how has life been living with Miss Mira?" It had been several weeks since the dreaded beginning to their date and Mira moving in with Avery. Robin had only exchanged a few letters with Mira and hadn't seen Avery since so he had heard very little about how the new arrangement was working. He was genuinely curious about their friendship (it seemed so unlikely at first glance) and hoped both were happy with their new living arrangements. If they weren't Robin didn't doubt his couch would be quickly commandeered again.
Robin Ivanov

Back to top Go down

Post by Melissa Finnigan Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:22 pm

The papers were ferried away once the last signature stained the parchment. A twitch of magic rolled them up and a red sash looped around the middle before the papers were whisked away on a gust of wind, no doubt to be picked up by an owl already en route overhead. From there it would be filed and fished out again if the law was annulled and thus the marriages or if either of them were twisted up in the wrong sort of political company. Neutrality wasn’t in Melissa Finnigan Hayes’ blood. The Order of the Phoenix was her natural destination for she, like her parents, found it difficult to stand idle in the face of adversity; never was there a greater sin to commit than that.

The meet and greet was an inevitable part of a wedding and not one that Millie had ever enjoyed whether as a guest and certainly not now as the bride when it was required to be painfully sociable. When it came to her family, which seemed to dwarf the other side of the room, she knew she’d have no trouble. Those who had come as dates to friends or those of no consequence to either of them would be the issue and Millie was sure she’d squint at whoever daunted her with their presence, first of all wondering why and then, bizarrely hoping they’d enjoy themselves regardless. Thankfully, however, family always came first in some form or another. Cousins, naturally, preceding everyone.

Seamus’ brother Arthur had four children: the nineteen-year-old Lauren, eighteen-year-old Reuben, fourteen-year-old Charlie and thirteen-year-old Georgia. It was Georgia that broke rank first, ironically, barrelling towards the bizarre coupling of cousin and professor and throwing her arms around the middle of the first who she considered to be much more fun than the stoic poet she had for a sister. Despite herself, Millie laughed and wrapped her arms around the younger girl for a moment before stepping back to admire the dress she wore which made her look grown up and spritely, ready to take on the world and all its ills and those who wished to bring harm to her. She was a firecracker - a Gryffindor who Millie was constantly taking guilt from under the suspicious eyes of their head of house. Charlie, too, had benefited from his cousin’s generosity and he took her next with a broad grin, breaking out of the cool, collected exterior that he’d attempted to exude.

“I hate weddings, Mills,” Charlie burst out energetically as he drew away, straightening his bowtie with an impish grin. He looked at his sister pointedly thereafter and they hurried away, waving briefly before following their noses towards the food which Millie had had the most hand in all of other things. Elliot had taken on the ‘burden’ of sorting out the alcohol but Millie had dealt with the food, understanding the unique and important relationship between family and good food and drink.

Louisa had slunk away, blessedly, but Reuben, Elliot ambling behind him having extracted himself from Lavender, approached afterwards, grinning as he took up Millie’s hand, shaking it firmly.

“Congratulations and all that bollocks - look, please tell me you’re always going to have a bed for little old me to sleep in when the other half kicks me out. I need to hear those words.” He exclaimed, curling his hand around his ear.

Millie’s eyes bugged out of her head momentarily. “Wait, you’ve been paired already?”

Reuben nodded solemnly, his smirk appearing not a moment after as he sobered himself out of seriousness.

“Dreadful business, isn’t it? She’s over there, look,” he turned, pointing to where his mother was stood with a redhead of sour appearance, not notably attractive but certainly not unpleasant to look at.

“I don’t see your problem, Ben.” Millie frowned.

Reuben laughed. “Well we can’t all be in the unique position you and your other half are, congratulations by the way on getting this one,” Reuben patted Millie affectionately on the head as he looked at Kieran. “I expect you’re quite fond of each other, hmm? She won’t say two words to me since I trod on her cat the other week. She spoke to me this morning, I tell a lie, but then I told her I didn’t like her dress.” He grinned. “Can’t think of a good reason why she shouldn’t like me, can you? Dismal, these women.”

“Truly,” Millie snickered, holding up the sunflower bouquet in her hands. “I’ll throw these at her, shall I?”

Reuben momentarily looked horrified. “Don’t say that. For goodness sake, Mophead.” He scowled. “Chuck them at Delacour if you must anyone. That sour look on her face is beginning to slay me. Merlin knows, though, I wouldn’t want to be the kind of bloke to end up with her. I’d rather keep the crown jewels when dear old Quinn catches up, wouldn’t you?”

Millie arched an eyebrow at him. “I wouldn’t know what you mean,” she replied tartly.

Reuben snorted. “Just, let’s play it this way. Leave my trifling other half alone and amuse someone else.” He looked at Kieran, suddenly. “Have you got any cousins, mate? We’re all family now. Not strictly related but if you’d-”

“Hey Millsie!” Elliot planted a kiss on Millie’s cheek, having stolen himself away from their grandmother who had caught him for a chat, and grabbed Reuben’s wrist with a harried look on his face, breaking the other man’s sentence before it could be finished. “I’m going to go and drown this one in Firewhisky and cake, alright?” Millie nodded and Elliot kissed her again before reaching to shake Kieran’s hand. “Good to have you as a brother. Always wanted one.” He looked at Millie, then. “Sort of always did in a way. Never mind, look. We’ll talk later. Jack thinks, oh, Kieran, you need to meet Jack. Great guy. Bit weird. Odd habits. Anyway, Jack reckons the only way to get Lewis to propose to Gwen is to completely... well, uh, never mind. I want a dance later. Alright?”

And with that, the boys were off, hurrying in the direction of Millie’s extended family members, second cousins, who seemed to have woman-issues which was a problem a lot of them appeared to be facing. Millie’s eyebrows furrowed, trying to work out which girlfriend of Lewis’ Gwen was but in the end came up with nothing, satisfied with hoping that between Elliot putting a drunken Reuben up to kissing her she’d actually get to meet her.

Millie laughed. “I don’t actually know what happened there,” she admitted gently before looking around for her mother, wondering how long it would be before the woman assaulted them with over-eager hugs and unquenchable tears. “Okay, is there anyone that looks like they’re going to invade our bubble and make us talk to them?” She opened the eye she’d closed, as though doing so provided protection from overeager family members. “If you see my mother, hide me, alright?” She looked at Kieran pointedly, then, a small smile at the corners of her lips but, nevertheless, true seriousness there.

Merlin knew, Lavender would be nothing but a pain and a limpet if she caught hold of them. There was only so much cooing Millie could put up with.
Melissa Finnigan
Melissa Finnigan
Seventh Year Gryffindor
Seventh Year Gryffindor

Number of posts : 669
Special Abilities : Seer

Back to top Go down

Post by Avery Bishop Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:16 am

Taking the plate from Robin she offered him a grin as she went down the opposite side of the table, facing him. Avery glanced down at her plate before reaching for one of the sliders Keiran had definitely requested. Bridget must have made them. She made the best ones. Avery momentarily questioned whether or not she should be worried about what she was choosing to eat, but decided that she didn't really care. Robin hadn't seemed to give any sort of care when she drank whiskey rather than some fruity nonsense, so she assumed he just didn't care. As someone who had not been in any particularly serious relationship, Avery hadn't ever had to worry about anything like that. As far as dating went, she had been more of the date-around type than the get-attached type.

She nodded and followed Robin to the table he suggested and tucked her dress before sitting down. Avoiding diving right into the food, as some hadn't gotten anything yet, Avery instead observed those moving about the reception room. Keiran and Millie were surrounded, so Avery decided that she could easily wait and chat with the two of them later. Undoubtedly, she and Robin would have time to catch up with Keiran later at the very least. As the groom's best mates, they could reserve a bit of their time.

Avery didn't really know too many of the people at the wedding, considering she didn't go to Hogwarts, and she had to admit that she was surprised at the idea that Robin might know so many of these people walking around. Knowing that she should have, technically, brought a date with her, Avery was suddenly glad she hadn't. Would she have been seated at a table with Mr. Ivanov if she had? Avery couldn't think of anyone she would have brought with her, anyways. Though she got on with men well enough, she wasn't particularly close to very many people at all. Keiran wasn't available, obviously, so she had decided just to be that strange person who didn't bring anyone with her.

Keiran had done everything in his power to avoid toasts, but Avery had talked him into allowing them between dance numbers at the mic his mum had set up. It was probably the most she could convince him of, if she was being realistic. Keiran was not a fan of the idea of toasts considering that no one had truly wanted the wedding in the first place. If anyone really wanted to say anything, they would stop the music and let them say their piece. That said, most people were sitting down to get a bite to eat.

Realizing Robin was talking to her, Avery turned to look at him and reached for the slider she had picked earlier. “Oh, she's brilliant. We watch those ridiculous Muggle films, and I think she's feeling much better.” Avery grinned and took a bite, then leaned towards him to add, “Sometimes, all you need is a drink and chat about it.”

Bringing her glass to her lips, Avery looked at him over the rim as she returned to her taller posture. Passing him a smirk and a glance from the corner of her eye, Avery crossed one leg over the other and took a larger pull from her drink.

Avery's eyes flicked around the room once more before she looked at Robin again. “Have you been to a wedding before? I haven't, myself.” She didn't want to openly state that she didn't know exactly what to expect of the evening, considering that she technically helped Bridget plan a few things. Avery tapped her nails against the glass and wondered if she was strange compared to those around her. Needless to say, she was thankful for her drink and looking forward to the dancing. Those, she understood.
Avery Bishop
Avery Bishop
Durmstrang Graduate
Durmstrang Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robin Ivanov Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:16 am

Robin nodded. "Many." There never seemed to be a shortage of weddings in his world - aunts, cousins, parents on their third marriage, friends. For as long as he could remember Robin had been going to at least a wedding a year. Of course, out of those he actually cared for very few of the people that were getting married. Most weddings that he ended up attending were for near strangers, the relatives of his mothers friends that he had for some unknown reason been invited to. But, with nothing better to do with his time, Robin always went.

Weddings were a world of free food, lots of drinking, single bridesmaids, and horribly cheesy dancing. They were a chance to dress up, socialize, and just be happy for the couple regardless if they were your best friend or complete strangers. "But it's your first wedding? You're in for a treat then." Robin smiled at Avery and his eyes caught on drink in her hand. Of course, it was just his luck to have missed the bar on the first swing through.

Not wanting to stand up so quickly after taking his spot, Robin ignored his impulses. "I really do like weddings. They're all the same, really. But each couple makes it special in their own little ways. I believe that if you know what to look for you can tell everything you need to know about a couple and their future from the wedding." Robin eyed Keiran and Millie across the room, surrounded by family and well-wishers. They looked much happier than they had at the alter, although Robin wasn't sure why. They had the whole night ahead of them.
Robin Ivanov

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucien Holt Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:19 pm

Keiran joined Millie, albeit fairly reluctantly, as she began making the rounds with her side of the family. Glancing around, he saw his parents milling about with a few others from his side – cousins or others who had come out just to see what things were like with the new law. Melissa's cousins – Keiran was fairly certain they were cousins, anyway – were many and outgoing. He couldn't help but smile as she embraced them.

To an unknowing onlooker, Keiran supposed they might look like they got on quite well, considering his quiet smile and her energy. His hand moved to rest on her lower back as they chatted, Keiran trying his best to assume to role he had been assigned: the doting husband who wasn't adverse to touch. Though, Millie had included that in her vows – surely her family heard and thought it strange? He didn't want to come off as someone who wouldn't treat their clearly dear girl well.

Reuben suggested that Keiran and Melissa were already close, if not fond and Keiran found himself stiffening at the comment. Following the man's gaze to the woman across the way, and smiled at their exchange. Keiran made a mental note of the nickname Ben gave her before they were interrupted by Elliot so he could drag Ben off.

“You, as well.” Keiran nodded with a more sincere smile than he expected. As an only child – unless one counted Avery, which most didn't – he had always wondered what it would have been like growing up with a brother or sister. At least he sort of had someone, now. Elliot was going back and forth, and Keiran had trouble keeping up so he kept quiet until the man was done, smiling at him as he headed off.

Glancing down at Millie as she laughed, he smiled conspiratorially. “I don't either.. Mophead.” Grinning to show his intended good nature, Keiran laughed at the next comments and faces she made. “I will,” He nodded. “Frankly, I'd avoid chatting with anyone right now. I don't know about you, but I could go for a nice sit down, provided it includes food and drink.”

Looking over at the table where Avery was leaning in to talk to Robin, looking extremely comfortable and surprisingly interested in the man, Keiran's jaw tightened but he figured he could do nothing about it. She could take care of herself. “Yes, drink of the alcoholic nature is required.” He added in a murmur, moving his gaze to the table where guests were making plates of food for themselves.

Later, he could talk with Robin and Avery, as well as his parents. They seemed to be giving him room to breathe, which he was partly grateful for. Mostly, though, he needed more familiar faces around in the near future, or Keiran was surely going to go mad. That, or he needed the music to start so he could ignore the truth that the rest of his life was starting. This was so much more than his graduating, or becoming a Professor or being made Head of Slytherin. Keiran didn't even want to think about his job right then.

He wasn't sure what was going to happen with that, now, so he pushed it away and gestured towards the food. "Shall we?" Were they meant to stay together the entire evening? Keiran imagined they were, but didn't want to seem stifling in any way. He decided to just leave that up to Millie.
Lucien Holt

Number of posts : 612
Special Abilities : Seer l Heightened Sensitivity

Back to top Go down

Post by Avery Bishop Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:19 pm

Avery was fairly certain that his being involved in many wedding shouldn't surprise her. He seemed to know a good amount of people, after all. Somehow, Robin knew all of these folks that Avery knew and she couldn't exactly fathom how their circles had become so intertwined. She wasn't sure if it was strange or fitting, considering how well they got on.

Raising an eyebrow, Avery took in his statement but scoffed lightly nonetheless. She wasn't so sure that the wedding is what one might call a treat. Keiran looked stiff in his greeting Millie's side of the company, and most everyone seemed to feel off about the whole thing. It wasn't like the now-Mr-and-Mrs-Hayes had met organically and managed to get on well. Avery resigned herself to the fact that in perhaps a few weeks, it would be the same for her and whomever she got tied with. Poor bloke. Glancing to the side, she wondered briefly who Robin would be paired with. She wasn't planning on ever telling him that she had marked him down for her choice.

Robin's words surprised Avery in a way she hadn't expected. Somehow, he could go from uptight – well, that wasn't the right word, was it? More like stiff – yet attractive, to deep and somehow even more attractive. She was fairly certain she was staring at him, so she swallowed and looked away. If Avery allowed herself to meet his gaze, she had a fear that she would turn into some sort of sappy idiot who shouldn't have been so easily enamored of her best friend's best mate.

“Well..” She started, looking down at her glass, “I think that's a bit too serious for the amount of drink we've had.” Extending her glass towards him as she realized he didn't have one of his own, Avery offered him her own. “Here. I feel like we're going to need this.”
Avery Bishop
Avery Bishop
Durmstrang Graduate
Durmstrang Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Melissa Finnigan Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:13 pm

The wine that was floating around on silver trays was utterly unrepentant in its alcohol content. Its smell was bordering on repugnant but for the wine connoisseurs of their party, Millie was sure they’d enjoy the dry whites and heady reds that where being whisked around. Nevertheless, she eyed the trays warily as they swam through the air and brushed off the one that moved to offer her a glass, her hands flexing absently in search of a glass, yes, but certainly not one of wine - gosh, and a cigarette to boot, too. But like wandering around with a bottle of beer, she was sure that wandering outside with a cigarette, complaining about the dress not having any lighter pockets, She was sure she’d get more than a few chuckles from her cousins but at the expense of trying to seem like a proper wife for a while, she believed she could hang on - at least for Kieran’s sake.

Smudging her lips together, Millie ran a hand down the front of her dress and let Kieran lead them into the reception area where everyone was gathering. She had told Elliot that it would be completely inappropriate for him to break out into a speech the night before in an effort to dispense with any more formality at the risk of it becoming a little too strange but she was almost completely sure that he wouldn’t pay attention to her warning if the situation struck up opportunity for him to make an exhibition of himself at his sister and brother-in-law’s expense; the latter pairing of words in itself a dizzying prospect. Millie dropped her spare hand down to her side once she could no longer find a reason to continue fiddling with her clothing and lifted her head, her eyes drifting furtively, weakly, around the room.

Lavender was easily spotted, sat with her mother and father as well as Seamus’ parents and grandparents. Thus, three generations were crowded around the table, the missing link not so far from their hearts and minds. Lavender’s tears had long since subsided, her make-up having resumed its use, and she was talking amicably with the people around her, a sparkle in her eye. Further down the table, keeping to themselves, Reuben’s parents were sat with Lauren, Charlie and Georgia. Other Browns and Finnigans were drifting around, generally making polite conversation where necessarily but largely staying in familiar bands. As a result, there was a notable divide between the two, well, one family which was bridged between an awkward looking Gisele and Katarina and the skulking date of Robin’s that had confused Millie when she’d first caught sight of her but she was unable to quite pinpoint why.

Somewhere in the background, the band began to absently play and Millie slowly began hyperaware of herself and what exactly the music would denote the eventuality of: the first dance. She brought her hand up to the back of her neck and rubbed at the glamour charms she could feel buzzing angrily over her skin, arguing with the magic inlaid in the ink in her back that was struggling against the force of the concealing charm. Her hair suddenly felt sticky with product and heavy, tugging at her scalp. The dress was too much and the presence of everyone was stifling. Closing her eyes against the barrage of thoughts pressing her into running away, she steadied her breathing and, when she reopened her eyes, tried to console herself into some sort of sobriety. She was married now - she had to be a little bit more adult.

I’m trapped, she thought forlornly. Like a bird in a tiny cage.

“Who do you want to speak to?” She asked gently. “I don’t mind.”
Melissa Finnigan
Melissa Finnigan
Seventh Year Gryffindor
Seventh Year Gryffindor

Number of posts : 669
Special Abilities : Seer

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top