Learning My Way - Page 3
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

Learning My Way - Page 3 Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

Learning My Way

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Learning My Way - Page 3 Empty Re: Learning My Way

Post by Avery Bishop Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:21 pm

Avery felt her shoulders relax a little with gratitude that he wasn’t the sort to push when she so clearly needed time to organize herself, and especially to do so with Sophie. The only thing, really, was that she suddenly worried he would drop it completely and end up surprised when she did bring it up. People were like that, sometimes; offering but not really meaning it, or not really feeling particularly invested. And it was okay if he wasn’t. She just hoped he was.

“Please,” she agreed with a nod, stepping away from the Staff Lounge doorway so she could follow him whichever way he led her. “You know, I’ve half a mind to inquire about linking a floo between my quarters and my classroom, if only so I won’t be late. Cadmus mentioned that apparition wasn’t really possible within the castle unless you hold his role as Headmaster. I suppose I understand why he would need to, but I’m a little jealous,” she admitted lightly, her smile suggesting she wasn’t as serious as she really felt.
Avery Bishop
Avery Bishop
Durmstrang Graduate
Durmstrang Graduate

Number of posts : 575

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy R. Lupin Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:58 pm

"Now that's a thought," he said, considering it thoughtfully as he led them out the staff lounge, figuring they'd head to the top floor and then work their way down again. "Just pop in to class - Merlin, that'd be nice." He paused. "The hooligans would ruin it somehow. Pop back into our quarters or something. Never put it past them."

He chuckled at the thought, and then shuddered. They really were trapped.

"Here, let's go up to the top, we can head back down and finish off with the grounds. I know a secret way too." He turned and headed for a particular portrait, explaining. "My dad, well I guess both of them, knew just about every secret in this castle. I remember most of them, and they do come in handy." He paused in front of a portrait of an austere woman. He gave her a little bow. "Might I climb up?"

"Oh, all right," she simpered, lifting her chin. The portrait sprung open, revealing a twisting staircase. Teddy grinned at Avery.
Teddy R. Lupin
Teddy R. Lupin
Hufflepuff Graduate
Hufflepuff Graduate

Number of posts : 265

Back to top Go down

Post by Avery Bishop Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:10 am

She really hadn't thought the floo thing through all the way. Clearly, considering how quickly Teddy could counter the idea with a very fair point. She grimaced slightly, but laughed a little when she saw him react as well. "Well, that's just about the last thing I'd want, including a run-in with Peeves," Avery decided, her tone light. But she certainly wasn't kidding.

She was confused, at first, when he started talking about his parents. But then she remembered how he had introduced himself. A Lupin. Meaning, the last one. The two fathers thing didn't make sense to her, given she'd read about the Battle of Hogwarts and how Remus and Nymphadora had both been lost, but she figured somebody had to take him in, right? So that was fair enough.

It made her curious, to be sure, but she didn't want to ask. If she brought up family members, surely he would take the opportunity to ask about Sophie's father. Maybe not immediately, but it would put that part of her life on the table to be questioned, more than it already sort of was. Avery hadn't told the Headmaster much at all about her personal life, but she wouldn't be surprised if people did some digging. Curiosity often got in the way of politeness, she'd learned.

She followed him over to the portrait, less surprised, perhaps, than she should've been when it responded. She'd seen the students interacting with the wall art's characters, but hadn't tried to do the same, yet. Apart from what was absolutely required, of course.

Still, what did surprise her was the fact that the portrait had something so important hiding behind it. Her jaw dropped open a little, her eyes flicking from the hidden passage to Teddy. "The students don't know about this? How've you managed to keep it a secret?"
Avery Bishop
Avery Bishop
Durmstrang Graduate
Durmstrang Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy R. Lupin Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:47 pm

It was a wonderful thing, watching people experience the magic of the school. Because it was magic. It was Something, verging on Someone, a living, almost breathing vessel of magic and wonder. It wasn’t just the magic within the walls, it was the magic built into every brick. Teddy had always loved Hogwarts, always felt comfortably at home in it. Here’s parents had lived here, fought here, died here. It wasn’t their tomb so much as their memorial and being here kept him close to them. Close to everyone who came before that made this world possible for him. He wanted everyone to feels it’s magic.

He shook his head. “Oh man, I wish. Two years ago I was heading up and ran right into Jack Dyllan on her way. Didn’t quite feel right to throw her in detention, either, so I just let her go on her way. The trouble makers and the ones too clever for their own good know about it.” He paused thoughtfully. “I should also give you the run down on those students, now that I think of it. Anyway. After you.”

((If you’d like, we can time jump towards the end of the tour, or keep going! Up to you!))
Teddy R. Lupin
Teddy R. Lupin
Hufflepuff Graduate
Hufflepuff Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Avery Bishop Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:10 am

"That does make more sense," Avery agreed as he explained about the group of students that knew the castle's secrets. How could anyone keep all of the school's mysteries hidden, after all? Somebody had found them before, and surely would again. "But perhaps you should," she added, regarding the students. There were certainly more students than he could really take her through in a tour like this, but that was okay. Maybe there were only a few she had to keep an eye on.

He gestured for her to go first, and though she hesitated a little, she didn't want Teddy to think she didn't trust him, even if she didn't have an exceptionally strong excuse to trust him. Not technically. But there was something about him that she just liked and appreciated. So it wouldn't have been a total lie for her to say that she did think that she trusted him.

So she led the way up, and for the rest of their tour, Avery made a point to be more lighthearted, as if her trip through the hidden passageway had somehow brightened up her mood. She didn't want to come off as standoffish or negative, really. Not when she was so new, and he was trying so hard to help her. But as they seemed to be wrapping up, she wasn't quite sure what to do.

"Well... Thank you," she offered, her tone deeply genuine. People rarely went out of their way to help her in a way that didn't seem backhanded. Teddy didn't seem like that at all. "I would definitely have gotten lost if I'd had to figure it out myself the first day. Granted, I still might. But the odds are surely much lower, now."
Avery Bishop
Avery Bishop
Durmstrang Graduate
Durmstrang Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy R. Lupin Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:03 am

As they walked, Avery seemed to lighten up, moving with a little more certainty, speaking with a bit more confidence. He told her about Dyllan, and about how Ducky Baker was hopeless by sweet, how he didn’t want her to be prejudiced against Malfoy but his file wasn’t exactly promising, of their unconventional Head Boy. He told her anything he thought was more helpful than it was frightening.

The castle itself was a marvel. At one point they heard Peeves and peeked at him around the corner arguing with a portrait, before sneaking past. He showed her the secret staff toilets, the common rooms, anything he thought might be of use. Soon they were chatting, laughing, and wrapping up the tour.

He waved a hand at her worry. “Ah, you’ll be fine.” A thought suddenly struck him and he plunged his hand into his pocket. “Actually. Hang on. Yeah!” He pulled out a coin and handed it to her. “Here. Old trick. I have a matching one. You need me and you can spin the edges of the coin, send me a message of where you are. I was going to give that one to my sister, but I can make another. Besides, I doubt she’ll take the help. But if you’re lost, or need help - you can summon me.”

Avery seemed… vulnerable wasn’t the right word, but it was close. He couldn’t imagine how scared he would be if he had to leave his home, his country, alone with a child and start somewhere else. He knew that, if it were him, he’d want a friend. So he wanted to give the thing he knew he would need.
Teddy R. Lupin
Teddy R. Lupin
Hufflepuff Graduate
Hufflepuff Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Avery Bishop Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:18 am

Avery held her hand out automatically when he offered her something, but quickly found herself staring at it. Her eyes widened as he explained what it did, and who it had been intended for. She glanced up at him in shock, absolutely taken aback. It wasn't something she'd ever heard of before, though he seemed to think it was no big deal. She shook her head slightly as her expression was forced back to something more neutral. It was beyond her understanding why he would make a decision like that. She wasn't family - she wasn't even some close friend who'd earned such a privilege.

"I--" Avery faltered, blinking a couple times. She started to ask if he was sure, but the selfish part of her didn't want to give it up. She didn't really believe that she'd ever have it in her to use it, but just holding it in her hand provided some level of relief. The weight of it was steady and comforting as she closed her fingers over it.

She turned a curious gaze on him, really looking at him. Teddy was so obviously genuine, as if life for him had been easy, when she knew full well that it never was. Not for anybody. Not completely, anyway. Mainly, Avery was surprised that he was so good. She couldn't remember the last time she met someone quite like him.

"Thank you," she said, instead of asking the question she really wanted to. Avery was fairly certain that she was already coming off as a bit mental, to be fair, so she just blushed slightly and tucked it into her pocket. "I'll do my best not to use it," she assured him.
Avery Bishop
Avery Bishop
Durmstrang Graduate
Durmstrang Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy R. Lupin Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:29 pm

She looked surprised at first, but she had been surprised by every nicety that he had offered her. He wasn't sure if that was a Durmstrang thing, or an Avery one. He hoped it was just almost-first day nerves, that she would relax into her new roles, professional and otherwise. He'd like the staff to be friends, be like a family, but he couldn't do it alone.

He grinned. "If you do, don't worry. You'll probably be saving me from some student interaction going horribly wrong. They always seem to these days - just can't keep up with what's cool to them." His smile faltered though, his face getting briefly serious. "I do mean it though, I don't mind helping. I would have liked help my first year so... let me help."

But time was moving and he needed to meet with Scott. "Right, I do need to head off, but let me know if you need anything, use the coin, and tell me when you want to get a drink with the staff!"
Teddy R. Lupin
Teddy R. Lupin
Hufflepuff Graduate
Hufflepuff Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Avery Bishop Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:06 am

She nodded at his request that she let herself consider relying on him - even if only in the moment. That much she could do, she supposed, if the right reason came for it. Eventually, something would throw a wrench into her day or her plans or whatever else, and she'd at least need somebody besides Sophie, who was charming to no end, but unhelpful in a lot of things just yet. Adult things, anyway.

Teddy had places to be, which didn't surprise her. He'd said from the start how long the tour would probably take, and he hadn't been wrong. Avery wanted to express how grateful she really was, but she was pretty sure her reactions thus far had done that enough for her. At least for the time being.

So she nodded, toying with the coin a little in her pocket. "I will do," she promised, trying to sound more firm. "I'll see you around, then." Avery offered a little smile, taking a step back in hopes of not keeping him any longer than he could afford, and gave a little wave. "Thanks again, Teddy."

Once he started off as well, Avery turned around to work on getting back to her quarters on her own, using her newfound knowledge of the castle as best as she could.
Avery Bishop
Avery Bishop
Durmstrang Graduate
Durmstrang Graduate

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top